Sunday, March 28, 2010

Loving Bickleton

Where else could I worship on Palm Sunday to the accompaniment of an accordian!:) I'm not kidding and I loved it so much! One of the things that has impressed me with this community is that they are so proactive. All of the church pianists were out of town for Spring Break, so rather than singing a cappella...the song leader played her accordian. There was just one moment when Jacob began to pray and she bumped the accordian and it let out a joyful noise. I didn't think it was incredibly noticable, but at dinner, when we asked the boys how they liked the accordian, Owen said, "It was real BIG! And...and...Papa, me be you...(he bowed his head, folded his hands, and very seriously said)Lord Jesus...HONK!" Jacob and I were biting our lips so hard not to laugh and then have our laughter repeated in front of the dear lady!! But along the lines of being proactive to better the community. I was told by another lady that the school used to put on a mother/daughter tea, but they stopped. So a group of women gathered and decided they would put on an annual tea for the girls. I was so impressed that instead of moping around that a good thing was ended, they took it into their own hands to make it continue.

Just one more story of the boys and church. I've noticed that they refuse to talk to most people. You know, "How are you boys?" nothing "Do you like living here?" nothing "Do you like your new tricycles?" tight lips! Finally, today I asked them why they don't talk to most people. They said, "Remember Mama? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Oh boy! We still have more work to do!

1 comment:

Campbells said...

Hey thats better than saying something rude!! Ha Ha funny