Monday, June 2, 2008
Country Living
I haven't been great about keeping up with this blog, but figure that you will hear from me more than you probably care to once we are snowed and darkened into our Savoonga bungalow this winter!...if that is where God places us:) Tomorrow, we leave for Seattle and then Savoonga, AK. I'm sure that we won't have computer access until we return to Ohio, June 12th, so check back in after that date to learn more! I'm excited to know what I'll be writing too...I really have no idea what to expect when we get off that airplane. Over the past few weeks, I've come to realize that although I've traveled to areas of the world where people lived very differently from the way I was accustomed to living, Savoonga will be entirely different from anywhere that I've ever been. When I lived in a small village in the mountains of Honduras, it's true that they didn't have many material possessions, but they were able to do some things that I was familiar with to meet their needs...they had a few farm animals, they grew a few crops, they had a stream to collect water and wash themselves/clothes. None of those will be options for us in Savoonga. Sure, I have high hopes of growing some veggies indoors/experimenting with greenhouses...but I recognize that this will more likely be more of a hobby than a nutritional success! I wonder if we have a working washer/dryer or if I will be washing diapers in the bathtub. Gma Meadows took us to visit a local farm. Logan and Owen really enjoyed the young goats and I asked them if they'd like to share their room with one in Savoonga so we can have fresh milk and cheese. If we do end up in Alaska, life will indeed be different than we've ever known it to be. In all honesty, some days the adventure excites me more than others. We'll keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It certainly sounds like it will be an adventure! Good luck with all!
Good luck in Alaska. Keep me posted on what your adventure is like. I would love to go to Alaska. If you get to cold maybe we could trade for a week or so?
Post a Comment