Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer Nights

I hope to post some photos tonight, but in case the Internet is way to slow, I thought I'd at least write a bit before growing frustrated and going to bed:)
When I look out my window at all of the snow still present on the ground, it doesn't seem much like summer, but school is out and we have only a couple hours of darkness already, so I guess summer has begun!
When I returned downstairs after putting the boys to bed, Jacob told me that during my absence, he heard banging around in the room attached to our house that holds one of our fuel tanks. He opened the door to find a young girl in there. When he told her she needed to leave, her friend also came out of hiding and they explained that they were hiding from "the drunk man". Jacob told them they couldn't hide there and that he would go see about "the drunk man." Sure enough...there was a man roaming around, quite intoxicated, screaming obscenities, but going back into his home. (I want to note at this point, that seeing drunk men wandering about at all hours is not typical for Savoonga. We know that, despite the fact that this is a dry island, alcoholism is a real problem here, as it is elsewhere, but it is not in your face as it is in many places.)
So, at this point, Jacob returned upstairs. Very soon, I notice 3 elementary school aged boys throwing rocks the size of my head at our huge, fuel oil reserve tank...the one that is so rusted out that we were ordered by the Coast Guard to have it replaced this summer. By the looks of the old tank, it wouldn't take much to break a hole through it. So I yell out the window for them to stop. They ever so politely mock me (which, unfortunately, is quite typical of many of the youth here). They continue throwing rocks. I offer to call the VPO(police), by this time they spot Jacob walking briskly towards them and begin running away quite rapidly. Unfortunately for them, a couple of ATVs full of adults saw what was happening and they were hot on their trail.
So, my favorite part throughout the ordeal, was the side drama. When I yelled for the boys to stop...the same girls whom Jacob caught in our fuel room earlier appeared out of nowhere and said, "We were just playing." I told them I wasn't talking to them, but to the boys. So I ask them for a VPO phone # and the one girl says, "Oh, the drunk man already left." We keep talking and finally I say, "You guys know not to go in that room again, right?" They blame each other and then agree not to go in again. I say, "Good, because it's not very safe to be in there." The one girl replies, "Drunk men aren't very safe either." A true statement which made me laugh considering the context, but when I stopped to think about her statement a bit more seriously, it really makes me cry because I know that it is a statement that this little girl knows to be true all too well for her young age.
I fear this is just the first of many exciting summer nights to come!

1 comment:

Deborah Smith said...

Hi Jacob, Kami, Owen, & Logan,

We are all doing quite well. I really enjoyed reading your postings and viewing pictures of you all. The boys have really grown. They look healthy and happy. You are doing a good thing in Savoonga.

Tom is working on this boat house and Alex is at basketball practice. Summer workouts. He is also doing a lot of golfing. We are getting ready for our first vacation this summer in Hawaii. We leave this Saturday, June 20. Everyone is well and healthy. It sounds like Kami had a nice birthday. Happy Birthday Kami.

Hugs and Kisses to you all,

Love,
Tom, Debbie and Alex