
The boys have been visiting the carousel museum since we moved here and have eagerly looked forward for their once a year chance to ride the 100 + year old horses at the rodeo. Church members kept gracing the boys with tickets to ride. I lost count early on as to how many times we rode! At first they would only ride in the "sled". Note the boy (and the face) on the horse in front of us.

Nope...not one of ours. The little boy in front of us dismounted his horse and was determined to stand up for the next ride...much to the operator's dismay. I finally convinced him that it would be great fun to ride with me in the sleigh. Halfway through the ride, he put his hands over his mouth, like so, and never removed them. Having noticed his face before, I was quite curious to know if his hands were stuck?

Owen was the first one brave enough to ride a horse. Obviously Jacob is enjoying it as much as Owen!

Owen and Jacob stopped on the horse. Eventually Logan rode a horse too, but they both insisted on having one hand on the horse and holding our hand with the other.

Their other main form of entertainment was building pine needle towers:) They really did love the rodeo too...especially when the cowboys fell off their horses and were dragged around the arena while holding onto a long rope...rather twisted sense of enjoyment, I think:) At one point, Jacob offered to take them for a walk and Owen replied, "No, I don't want to miss anything!"
The only thing they did miss was Mutton Bustin'. I neglected to register them, but after watching it, I think I'm glad I missed the deadline! One kid flew out of the gate, holding tight to the sheep, and while refusing to let go, he lost his pants and a shoe! Seemed to enjoy it though:)

The Yakima Nation was invited to the rodeo since it was the 100th year and the native americans used to participate in this rodeo as well. (Now they have their own rodeo). I had to wipe away several tears as their drumming and dance reminded me of Savoonga. It was very different in style, but it brought back the memories.

Our rodeo queen was invited to join in on the "friendship dance." I'm guessing you won't have a problem spotting her in the group:)

Jacob was invited to join the group on the stage for the morning program to open the rodeo with prayer.

Owen, me, Logan, Dad, and Mom having a picnic lunch the last day.
It was a new cultural experience for me:) There were masses of people there, which seemed odd in Bickleton, but things have quieted down and are back to normal now.
No comments:
Post a Comment