Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Dream Come True?

It was a memorable day when I was teaching 4th grade at North Hills and discovered that I was pregnant. I had always wanted to stay home with my children, but I had never dreamed that I would love a job so much that I'd be sad to leave! I found myself dreaming up ways of combining teaching and mothering, but in the end, I realized that I was not in a cultural context that would be favorable to me bringing my baby (soon to find out 2 babies!) to work with me and then I finally realized that wouldn't be the best option for the baby either!! But I really loved teaching...and...I really wanted to stay at home with my babies. I don't regret my choice do stay at home with the boys and I do miss teaching, but I have found teaching opportunities here and there.
So, as of yesterday, I think I've become a full-time mother and a full-time teacher (volunteer, of course!) Uncle Sivoy is 19-years old. He dropped out of school 4 or 5 years ago and over his summer of growth decided that he wants to graduate. I told him I would help him, but I would not homeschool him! Yesterday, we met with the principal, special ed teacher, and a lady from the district. I won't go into the details of the meeting (let's just say the educational system here is a sad joke), but by the end, it was clear to me that if I didn't teach Sivoy, he would be placed in an empty room everyday to do what?...I'm not sure. That didn't seem like an incredibly effective way for him to achieve a diploma. So they gave me the material that he needs to complete to graduate and I was up until the wee hours of the morning figuring out how to teach a 19-year old who is at a 4th-6th grade level, depending on the subject. The perk is...I can teach those grades:) I had so very much fun getting into the teaching mindset again. On other teaching notes, I'm creating a Sunday School curriculum that fits the needs of this church. Also, Logan and Owen have reached preschool age and I'm sure you can tell from the stories I post to the blog, they could use a little direction:) Logan currently counts 1,2,8,9,7 and when I ask Owen "How many...?" he faithfully replies, "Lots." I don't think it's too late, but I should probably start being a little more intentional in their learning! So, am I realizing a dream come true in taking on these teaching responsibilities alongside being a full-time mama or am I just insane? I'm content for now:) Now, if only my students would show up for class!:)

No comments: