Sunday, August 23, 2009

VBS and Friends

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. We have had some Internet issues lately, but mostly I've just been very busy! After returning from camp, we were prepping our own Savoonga Youth Group to put on their own VBS. This was a first, at least in recent years. Usually, groups come in from Anchorage or beyond and spend the week doing VBS. We saw this as a way to involve and empower our own youth. It was somewhat effective and extremely exhausting!:) We averaged 8-9 youth helpers (3 of whom actually helped) and around 45 energetic children. Overall, the program went well and we saw much growth in leadership skills in the 3 active youth helpers. They are excited to help with Sunday School throughout the year and put on their own VBS again next year.
Over the last couple of weeks, we had Marissa (camp counselor from Fairbanks) stay with us and then return to Illinois, but we also had many teacher friends return for the new school year that begins tomorrow. It is so good to have them back. And we are very excited to become friends with a new teacher and her husband who have a 2 1/2 year old son as lively as our own! His name is Levi and he has already made good friends with Logan and Owen. This may not be such a long lonely winter as the last one:) No, we are glad to have our teacher friends here, but we also know many more people within the Savoonga native community now, so I don't foresee many lonely days ahead. Hooray!
Other news...we had our first heavy frost last week, the grasses are turning red to brown, and I think fall is here...but I'm still waiting for summer...what happened?:) Also, I was slowed down with the blog because our computer/camera stopped uploading photos in the usual manner, so I'm sad about that but before I seek outside help for my computer illiterate self, I'm going to make one last attempt.

1 comment:

csvan said...

So are you going to become employed as a babysitter?