Friday, January 8, 2010
Bedtime Routine
Our bedtime routine has evolved over the years. If nothing else, our family sleep journey, since August 8, 2006, seems to make people erupt into so much laughter that they are brought to tears:) I'm sure it is true that had we just left the boys in their cribs "to cry it out" in those early months, we would have been much better rested, but our nights would have missed out on so many entertaining stories to share for years to come! Up until maybe last May, the boys would fall asleep with me in the big bed and then I would transfer them to their cribs. Realizing that they were growing bigger everyday, it occured to me that it may not be so feasible to transfer them to their own beds when they reach their tenth birthday (in case you're concerned...I'm kidding!) So, I began the process of having them fall asleep in their own beds. They took to this quite well. I explained the reasons, they said, "Okay, Mama" and fell asleep while staring at their new glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling and each holding one of my hands until they had drifted off. I enjoyed this immensely, but on those nights when sleep did not overcome them for an hour or more, I tended to grow a bit restless. We added a new dimension to our routine, which brings us upto the current one. Jacob and I read and pray with the boys. They have a drink of water and then cuddle with their warm rice bags (we live in the frozen north!) in their beds. We say our goodnights and then Jacob leaves while I turn on some lullabies and sit with the boys for the first song. At this point, Owen whispers, "No hug me Mama! Goodnight." And Logan whispers, "My arms are out of my covers Mama. Me ready to hug you." (I like to ponder the two distinct personalities of children raised in the seemingly same environment!) Logan gives me a hug and a kiss, during which he says, "Hug...kiss...(and ever since New Year's Eve/7 nights now!)...Happy New Year's, Mama...Go watch the fireworks." And with this, I retreat under the covers of our big bed in the closet and read by flashlight until they are passed out. That's the part that currently gets people laughing, but my other friend, who has heard our entire sleep journey to this point, is quick to point out, "No...you don't understand. They have come so far!" I don't see what the problem is...I think reading a good book under the covers is a great way to unwind from a busy day:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am confused, why is your bed in the closet? Do the boys have their own room or do you share? We have always taught our kids to go to sleep on their own, and we like that. Though, lately the girls like me or da to read them little house on the praire until they fall asleep, and its so sweet.
Post a Comment