Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday Story #4

Jacob likes to refer to me as the “right hand wonder” on the piano. This isn’t totally fair anymore, as over the past year, I have graduated to playing hymns with both hands with minimal blunders…but it does require practice, especially if the song has a faster tempo than say, “Amazing Grace”. :) I awoke a little groggy this Sunday morning because we had some friends over Saturday night and ended up visiting until 2:30am. I realized I hadn’t practiced the songs this week, so I utilized my 10 free minutes before the service to run through the songs. Jacob was out of town last Sunday, so the girl who preached chose the songs for last Sunday. As I looked at the bulletin on the piano and played through the first song, I laughed and was relieved that Jacob chose one of the same songs as last week. Then I played through the second song, “How funny,” I thought. “This one’s the same too!” It wasn’t until I noticed that the last song was also the same that it occurred to me that I was looking at last week’s bulletin! Whoa! I blame the fatigue Too late…my practice time was up. As I was struggling through the songs during the service, I realized Jacob chose some of the most difficult ones in our hymnal, but still, by the second or third verse I generally added my left hand to the melody. As I was beginning the second verse of “Oh the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus” and was contemplating adding my left hand, I caught Logan out of the corner of my eye. He clearly had something that he wanted to give me. I extended my left hand; he paused, had a curious look on his face, and then placed “something from his nose” in my hand. Yuck! But, thank you Logan for giving me a legitimate excuse for only playing with my right hand!

No comments: