Since college, Jacob and I have wavered on being vegetarian, mostly because I don't like to deal with raw meat. If someone else cares to prepare it for me, I'll happily consume the meat, but I'd rather not bother with it myself. I learned quickly that Savoonga is not a good place for someone who doesn't like to touch raw meat. First, I was delivered a hunk of whale...but it was clean, so I managed. Then, I was given a hunk of reindeer. Let's just say, it was not clean and I did not manage. I tried, but had to pass it off to Jacob. This summer we were blessed with a bit of salmon and halibut. I managed...the salmon were small and a friend prepared the halibut. But one day, two of these (Pacific Cod) arrived on my doorstep! Lord have mercy!!:) (Notice the cookbook nearby that is walking me through the cleaning experience!)

Jacob took this action shot.

I have to say that the pictures don't do justice to the real experience...you can't experience the slime and the smell and the...I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving here a strict vegetarian!:)
2 comments:
all I can say is wow!!!!!!!!
I actually kind of LIKE to deal with raw meat once it's in it's packaged form, but to have to clean it all beforehand.... well, better you than me! :)
Post a Comment